National Water Tank Project
The Water Sector is one of the vulnerable sectors in Tonga to the impacts of climate change and disasters. Water is indeed valuable and an essential source of life whereby Tongans critically depend on for sufficient and sustainable supply of water not only for their very existence but also for social, economic, environmental needs and development.
In Tonga there are two main sources of water, which are the rainwater collected and stored in water tanks and from the underground water aquifers. Supplementary source of fresh surface water is also available in Tonga.
According to the Tonga Census, 2016, sixty percent (60%) of the total households in the country, water tank was the main source of drinking water. The remaining forty percent (40%) of the total households still have not obtained water tanks.
The National Water Tank Project was one of the priority projects of the Government of Tonga. It was officially launched by the Late Hon. Prime Minister of Tonga (Rev.Dr. Pohiva Tu’ionetoa) on the 14th October 2020. This project targets to install 6,000 of water tanks (5,000L) to private households throughout Tonga by 2023. It is also aiming to ensure sustainable supply of sufficient and good quality of water to all Tongans.
|Duration||October 2020- 2023|
|Donor/Development Partner's Name||TCCF, Korea,
Government of Tonga, China Aid, New Zealand
|Total Fund (TOP$)||$12M|
|Total Fund Used as of 30th June 2023||$1,728,432.39|